The history of Hickman County began before Tennessee achieved statehood in 1796. Hickman County is now the eighth largest county in the state and contains 612 square miles.
Hickman County is located about 50 miles southwest of Nashville, Tennessee--just west of the center of the state. In 2010, the population was 24,690.The county seat is Centerville, a town of approximately 3,500 people. Because a majority of the workforce commute to Nashville, Hickman County is part of th Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Read more: About Us
The school system of Hickman County operates eight schools.
- Centerville Elementary School
- Centerville Intermediate School
- Hickman County Middle School
- East Hickman Elementary School
- East Hickman Intermediate School
- East Hickman County Middle Schoo
- Hickman County High School
- East Hickman High School
Read more: Hickman County School System
John Noel Natural Area at Bon Aqua is a 35-acre area located in Hickman County. It supports a small remnant forest that has old growth forest characteristics.
Includes a large multi-purpose pavilion. The county fair is held here. It is alsoutilized for many other functions such as livestock shows throughout the year.
Located on the main floor of the Old Courthouse on the Town Square in Centerville. There one will find historical books for sale as well as additional books and information for in-office genealogy research.
A small museum in the Hickman County Chamber of Commerce is open to the public giving tribute to Hickman County’s Minnie Pearl, Del Reeves, Beth Slater Whitson, and other local entertainers. Visitor information is also available.
For over a hundred years it was known as the Beaverdam Springs Resort and was a favorite vacation site for President James K. Polk. Purchased in 1939 by the Presbyterian Synod of Tennessee, NaCoMe is today the largest Christian conference center in the midsouth.
R.D. and Edith Tarkington opened Tarkington General Store in 1927 and started a family tradition that lives today. Now the store is co-owned by their son, C.W. Tarkington, his wife, Elizabeth, and their daughter, Pam Allen. People near and far return to yesteryear at this one-of-a-kind old country store. Located at 6688 Hassell’s Creek Rd., Lyles. It is occasionaly open for musical events.