When Hickman County was first formed out of Dickson County, it was much larger than it is today. Settlements were already established along the Duck River and Piney River. Much of the area south of the Duck River was hostile territory, but settlers set up villages. Many of those villages in what remains of Hickman County are still locally known. A few even retain their small, quaint post offices. Others, especially early mining towns, are gone with hardly a trace or footnote in history. Even the early roads that followed the stream beds that required fording the streams frequently with horses and early cars are gone with only a few traces. As roads have been built and rebuilt, new communities have established as well. 

Farmer's Exchange

J R Sutton became a merchant and first postmaster around 1850

Farmers came from miles around to exchange produce with Sutton
Sutton named the area "Farmer's Exchange"
Timbering became a major industry in early 1900's

Shady Grove

Located on Dunlop Creek, about a mile from the Duck River

Henry Nichols named the town in 1840's
He noted the area was surrounded by a shady grove of trees
Town has two churches- Methodist and Church of Christ
Duck River Post Office located here

Anderson Bend

Named after a pioneer family of Andersons.  Colonel Shinn of North Carolina fought in Revolutionary War and was given 2500 acres of land in Tennessee.  Robert Anderson born in Buncombe County, NC in 1774 inherited land from Colonel Shinn and built a home on what is now Hwy 50 in 1805.  Home of hewed yellow poplar logs still stands.  First post office named Bluff Point and was established in 1855.  Isaac Perry became first Post Master

Pioneer Families

McCaleb, Bates, Miller, Yhoung, Smith, Hunt, Baker, Walker, Hooten, Tucker, George, Prince, Stephenson, James, Bingham, Regeon, Henn, and Mobley


Located in southern section of county on Hwy 100

William Bradley Cook was first merchant and post master
A large sawmill operated in community, 1890
Pleasant Whitwell taught school and preached in town, 1820
The first marriage between Aaron Edwards and Nancy Moody in 1817


Village had its beginnings in early 1800's

Was originally named Dreamer
Tom Sutton was one of the early store merchants
When asked price, Tom would reply "only five cents", or "only a dollar"
Customers would refer to the store as the "Only" store
Postmaster Allen Hunt Brown officially changed town name to Only


Established as a mining town, 1882

Named after the Nunnelly Ore Mines
Mines named after owner, Lawson H Nunnelly
Nunnelly came to county from North Carolina, 1810
Charcoal produced in Nunnelly used to fire furnace near Bucksnort

Little Lot

Early settlers were mostly pioneers from Maryland

Hugh McCabe settled on Little Lot lands in 1810
McCabe donated one quarter of an acre of land for church and school
Parker Tyler said of the donated land and naming the town
"It's such a damn little lot, we can't give it a big name"
The town was then appropriately named Little Lot
First general store built by Ferdinand B Russell, 1853
Town was scene of many skirmished during Civil War
A devastating tornado hit town killing two in 1902


Early site of:

Hanes Sawmill
Boehms Gristmill
Stagecoach Inn
Smith Cotton Gin
Cayce Blacksmith Shop
Jones Store
Boehms Store
Jones Valley School
The Christian Church
Methodist Church
Brooks, Davie, Hohnson & other grain mills

Grinders Switch

Robert Griner, Sr settled in area 1807

Griner moved to Natchez Trace in Lewis County
He established an inn called "Griners Stand"
Area became known as hometown of Minnie Pearl
She grew up across the river in Centerville
The town is being developed into a living museum to Minnie