When Hickman County was first formed out of Dickson County, it was much larger than it is today. Settlements were already established along the Duck River and Piney River. Much of the area south of the Duck River was hostile territory, but settlers set up villages. Many of those villages in what remains of Hickman County are still locally known. A few even retain their small, quaint post offices. Others, especially early mining towns, are gone with hardly a trace or footnote in history. Even the early roads that followed the stream beds that required fording the streams frequently with horses and early cars are gone with only a few traces. As roads have been built and rebuilt, new communities have established as well. 

Edgewood

Located about three miles south of Centerville

Runs along both sides of Hwy 50 E for about three miles
City began when Hwy 50 was completed in 1951
Community had been known as the Househollow
Named after the Edgewood Baptist Church in 1961

Coble

Located 12 miles west of Centerville on Beaverdam Creek

Town of Whitfield was located across creek before Coble
Named for Coble family, one of early pioneers in county
Osco Shepard in early years operated stores in Coble
Shepard worked on bicycles and pulled teeth in his spare time
Thomas Edison came to Coble looking for cobalt deposits, 1906

Brushy

Community lies along Brushy Fork Creek in southern part of county

Area settled early 1800's

Pioneer Families

Banks, Holt, Loveless, Hinson, Breece, and Wiggs

Bon Aqua

William Locke Weems discovered Four mineral springs, 1837

Area bordered by Big Spring Creek
He named area Bon Aqua
The springs became a famous health spa
Resort initially consisted of 40 to 50 cottages
Hotel burned 1888
Was replaced by structure with 101 rooms
Thomas Edison once visited hotel
Resort closed in the 1920's

 

Blue Water

Named after a stream called "Blue Water"

Sam Lancaster settled on land at mouth of creek, 1830
Major McClaren built a mill on creek, 1829
An existing mill structure built by Lonnie Pascall early 1900's
Was operated by Bob Fre4nch and son in the 1950's
Blue Water School operated until early 1900's

Pioneer Families

Elkins, French, Durham, Chandler, Sullivan, Lynch, and Taylor

Blue Buck Creek

Named by a hunter who killed a male deer drinking at creek.  The Swan Creek Phosphate Company opened plant about 1908.  A nearby post office called Melba served community.  Two churches located in community.

Early Settlers

John Williams, Robert Willey, Charles and William Wheat, Jared Cotton, Issac Farris, Peter Searcy, Joseph Bond, William Watts, Jack Devore, Alton McCaleb, John Skipper, George Perry, and Spencer Tinsley

Bernard

First black high school in county opened 1925.  Named Ali Vista View.  Was small two-room building built by the Porter brothers.  Building town down and another erected 1929.  School became a four-year high school 1940.  Building burned 1955, and the existing school building erected by county.

 

Beaverdam Springs

James Arnold settled at springs in 1823.  A group of Columbia, TN businessmen purchased land and established the Beaverdam Springs Resort.  The mineral springs became famous for their medicinal qualities.  Square dances were held each Saturday night.  Land later sold to the Presbyterian Church for a camp, now called Na-Co-Me.

Pioneer Families

Arnold, Jones, Frierson, Wooten, Henley, Rainey

Beaverdam

Named after a large beaver dam found on creek by early settlers.  Area settled first in 1820’s.  The Old Aetna Iron Furnace operated in area.  A distillery was located on creek near iron furnace.

Pioneer Families

Wade, Peeler, Milam, Murray, MCLaren, McCollum, Kimmin, Berryman, Tinsley, Morrison, Warren, and Patton

More Articles ...

  1. Aetna