The history of Hickman County began before Tennessee achieved statehood in 1796.  Hickman County is now the eighth largest county in the state and contains 612 square miles.

Natchez Trace Parkway

A National Parkway of 450 miles from Nashville, Tennessee, to Natchez, Mississippi, goes through the southwest corner of Hickman County.  It was first an Indian trail, then a post road, and widely used to transport troops and supplies.  It gives the traveler a peaceful drive through beautiful countryside, with many historic sites along the way.  No trucks or commercial vehicles are allowed.

 

About the People

 Hickman County is a very rural county with woodland making up the largest land use of the 613 square miles. There are only about 40 people per square mile. In 2012, the county population was estimated to be 24,170 (all rural), an increase from 22,295 in 2000. 

Read more: About the People

Farmer's Exchange

J R Sutton became a merchant and first postmaster around 1850

Farmers came from miles around to exchange produce with Sutton
Sutton named the area "Farmer's Exchange"
Timbering became a major industry in early 1900's

Shady Grove

Located on Dunlop Creek, about a mile from the Duck River

Henry Nichols named the town in 1840's
He noted the area was surrounded by a shady grove of trees
Town has two churches- Methodist and Church of Christ
Duck River Post Office located here

Anderson Bend

Named after a pioneer family of Andersons.  Colonel Shinn of North Carolina fought in Revolutionary War and was given 2500 acres of land in Tennessee.  Robert Anderson born in Buncombe County, NC in 1774 inherited land from Colonel Shinn and built a home on what is now Hwy 50 in 1805.  Home of hewed yellow poplar logs still stands.  First post office named Bluff Point and was established in 1855.  Isaac Perry became first Post Master

Pioneer Families

McCaleb, Bates, Miller, Yhoung, Smith, Hunt, Baker, Walker, Hooten, Tucker, George, Prince, Stephenson, James, Bingham, Regeon, Henn, and Mobley