The history of Hickman County began before Tennessee achieved statehood in 1796.  Hickman County is now the eighth largest county in the state and contains 612 square miles.

Pleasantville

Located in southern section of county on Hwy 100

William Bradley Cook was first merchant and post master
A large sawmill operated in community, 1890
Pleasant Whitwell taught school and preached in town, 1820
The first marriage between Aaron Edwards and Nancy Moody in 1817

Only

Village had its beginnings in early 1800's

Was originally named Dreamer
Tom Sutton was one of the early store merchants
When asked price, Tom would reply "only five cents", or "only a dollar"
Customers would refer to the store as the "Only" store
Postmaster Allen Hunt Brown officially changed town name to Only

Nunnelly

Established as a mining town, 1882

Named after the Nunnelly Ore Mines
Mines named after owner, Lawson H Nunnelly
Nunnelly came to county from North Carolina, 1810
Charcoal produced in Nunnelly used to fire furnace near Bucksnort

Little Lot

Early settlers were mostly pioneers from Maryland

Hugh McCabe settled on Little Lot lands in 1810
McCabe donated one quarter of an acre of land for church and school
Parker Tyler said of the donated land and naming the town
"It's such a damn little lot, we can't give it a big name"
The town was then appropriately named Little Lot
First general store built by Ferdinand B Russell, 1853
Town was scene of many skirmished during Civil War
A devastating tornado hit town killing two in 1902

Leatherwood

Early site of:

Hanes Sawmill
Boehms Gristmill
Stagecoach Inn
Smith Cotton Gin
Cayce Blacksmith Shop
Jones Store
Boehms Store
Jones Valley School
The Christian Church
Methodist Church
Brooks, Davie, Hohnson & other grain mills

Grinders Switch

Robert Griner, Sr settled in area 1807

Griner moved to Natchez Trace in Lewis County
He established an inn called "Griners Stand"
Area became known as hometown of Minnie Pearl
She grew up across the river in Centerville
The town is being developed into a living museum to Minnie

Edgewood

Located about three miles south of Centerville

Runs along both sides of Hwy 50 E for about three miles
City began when Hwy 50 was completed in 1951
Community had been known as the Househollow
Named after the Edgewood Baptist Church in 1961

Coble

Located 12 miles west of Centerville on Beaverdam Creek

Town of Whitfield was located across creek before Coble
Named for Coble family, one of early pioneers in county
Osco Shepard in early years operated stores in Coble
Shepard worked on bicycles and pulled teeth in his spare time
Thomas Edison came to Coble looking for cobalt deposits, 1906