The history of Hickman County began before Tennessee achieved statehood in 1796.  Hickman County is now the eighth largest county in the state and contains 612 square miles.


Community lies along Brushy Fork Creek in southern part of county

Area settled early 1800's

Pioneer Families

Banks, Holt, Loveless, Hinson, Breece, and Wiggs

Bon Aqua

William Locke Weems discovered Four mineral springs, 1837

Area bordered by Big Spring Creek
He named area Bon Aqua
The springs became a famous health spa
Resort initially consisted of 40 to 50 cottages
Hotel burned 1888
Was replaced by structure with 101 rooms
Thomas Edison once visited hotel
Resort closed in the 1920's


Blue Water

Named after a stream called "Blue Water"

Sam Lancaster settled on land at mouth of creek, 1830
Major McClaren built a mill on creek, 1829
An existing mill structure built by Lonnie Pascall early 1900's
Was operated by Bob Fre4nch and son in the 1950's
Blue Water School operated until early 1900's

Pioneer Families

Elkins, French, Durham, Chandler, Sullivan, Lynch, and Taylor

Blue Buck Creek

Named by a hunter who killed a male deer drinking at creek.  The Swan Creek Phosphate Company opened plant about 1908.  A nearby post office called Melba served community.  Two churches located in community.

Early Settlers

John Williams, Robert Willey, Charles and William Wheat, Jared Cotton, Issac Farris, Peter Searcy, Joseph Bond, William Watts, Jack Devore, Alton McCaleb, John Skipper, George Perry, and Spencer Tinsley


First black high school in county opened 1925.  Named Ali Vista View.  Was small two-room building built by the Porter brothers.  Building town down and another erected 1929.  School became a four-year high school 1940.  Building burned 1955, and the existing school building erected by county.


Beaverdam Springs

James Arnold settled at springs in 1823.  A group of Columbia, TN businessmen purchased land and established the Beaverdam Springs Resort.  The mineral springs became famous for their medicinal qualities.  Square dances were held each Saturday night.  Land later sold to the Presbyterian Church for a camp, now called Na-Co-Me.

Pioneer Families

Arnold, Jones, Frierson, Wooten, Henley, Rainey


Named after a large beaver dam found on creek by early settlers.  Area settled first in 1820’s.  The Old Aetna Iron Furnace operated in area.  A distillery was located on creek near iron furnace.

Pioneer Families

Wade, Peeler, Milam, Murray, MCLaren, McCollum, Kimmin, Berryman, Tinsley, Morrison, Warren, and Patton


Located on Hwy 48 in southern portion of county near the Lewis county line.  Spring-fed Piney Creek runs through the area.  Was settled after Indian treaty of 1818.  Iron furnaces of mid to late 1800’s caused boom time for town.  Depression of 1893 idled furnaces, and the furnaces shut down by 1911.

Pioneer Families 

Milam, Murray, Wade, Kimmin, Hick, Morrison, Hinson, Walker, Berrymand, McClaren