The history of Hickman County began before Tennessee achieved statehood in 1796.  Hickman County is now the eighth largest county in the state and contains 612 square miles.

James Buchanan Walker Home

Located on West End Avenue in Centerville, it is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The home is privately owned but is open to the public on the Christmas Tour of Homes.

Grinders Switch

In the 1900’s, Grinder’s Switch was a shipping town.  In more recent times, this quiet farm community has become known all over the word as the home town of Mine Pearl, the imaginary spinster of Sara Ophelia Colley Cannon who grew up across the river in Centerville.  Over the years through her comedy, Mrs. Cannon brought laughter to millions.  Through this same comedy, she preserved a valuable picture of life in the h ills of Tennessee during the Twenties and Thirties.

Old Grist Water Mill

On Leatherwood Creek.  Parts of the mill still remain in log cabin that was built by the Brooks family when they settled there in 1799.  Presently a Spring Water Marketing Operation.

 

Jackson Falls

Jackson Falls
Jackson Falls on the Natchez Trace Parkway

A historic rest stop on the Natchez Trace near Shady Grove.  Large spring and waterfalls made this a good camping place for troops traveling down the Trace.  Among them was Andrew Jackson, for whom the falls were named.

Baker's Bluff

bakers Bluff

One of the most scenic views along the Natchez Trace.  It overlooks Duck River and fertile farmland, typical of this area.

The Gordon House

One of the oldest homes in Hickman County, it was built around 1817-18 by Captain John Gordon.  He was a prominent early settler, first Postmaster of Nashville, owner of a trading post and ferry on Duck River.  His acclaim as a fearless fighter and spy was acknowledged from Nashville to Natchez.  His home is owned by the Natchez Trace Association and has been restored outside.