Brief History

Early Industry

Early industries here concentrated on what could be grown or come out of the ground.

Iron Furnaces

First industry in county was iron industry
A forge built on Mill Creek by Hardin Perkins, 1814
Was sold to Montgomery Bell, 1825
Other early furnaces:
Old Furnace on Sugar Creek
Goodrich Furnace on Birds Creek
Gould Furnace on Sugar Creek still stands
Aetna Furnace


First mill for grinding corn established on Mill Creek, 1809
The first horse powered mill built on Sugar Creek, 1809
A mill was erected on Piney River near Dodd Hollow, 1835
First cotton gin erected on Duck River 1811
First powder mill built on Mill Creek about 1811


The last steamboat up Duck River to Centerville was in February 1878
It was named the Mary Clees


Beaver Dam Springs
A mineral spring
Hotel built at springs, 1832
NaCoMe Conference Center (22)
Presently controlled by Presbyterian Churches
Of Nashville, Columbia, and Memphis

Bon Aqua Springs

A mineral spring which became a health resort
15 hewn log cabins built at springs, 1839
Once site of the Bon Aqua Hotel
Area was a booming railroad town of the early 1900's
Hotel torn down in early 1940’s

Primm Springs

A former summer resort
Contained hotel, dance hall, bowling alley and many cottages
Has several kinds of mineral water
A development at spring started 1831
Operated by Miss Hugh Ella Estes and sister Fanny for many years